Is there anything in this world that’s better than fried chicken and champagne? For me, nah, not really. A box of Popeyes (spicy, with a biscuit and fries) paired with a good, dry bubbly never fails to help me glimpse nirvana.
There are some pairings so noteworthy that they deserve to be preserved for posterity in the annals of our civilization. Health goth combined angst and sportiness into a lifestyle aesthetic worthy of the ages, and everyone’s favorite euphemism reached new levels of cultural cachet. Simple pairings can be just as great: a scented candle (protip: Gilt’s got a great array) and an engrossing novel, for instance. (And the aforementioned fried chicken and champagne, my personal therapy.)
I texted my friends to ask what pairings they think are perfection incarnate. Most involved some form of food or leisure, which either says a lot about the human condition, or the types of people I surround myself with. Here are their answers:
- Pizza and Rihanna’s “Sex With Me”
- Online shopping and rosé
- Spotify and bath salts (My friend Annie says, “Unfortunately, yes” when I ask if she means actual bath salts.)
- Acupuncture and activewear
- Sandwiches and potato chips. In the sandwich.
- A comfy throw and a painfully pretty coffee table book
- Gummy bears and Grindr
- Macarons and drawing (Très chic!)
- Lingerie and “eau de parfum” (Très très chic!)
- Reality TV and tears
- Jumpsuits and juice cleanses, in moderation
- Yoga and a lit mag
- Anything and bed (The conclusion to a variety of pairings with “bed” that my friend Emily offered.)
Readers, what are your perfect pairings? Do you share a love for any of the above? Tell us in the comments. And if you’re in search of an exquisite luxury lifestyle pairing, including many of the above, try Gilt and Gilt City. It’s the perfect marriage of fashion, home decor, and cosmopolitan experiences.
Angela Wang is a Senior Writer for Studio@Gawker.
Illustration by Josh Lees.