The fourth season of Black Mirror comes to Netflix on December 29, and I’m pretty damn excited to dig into the not-too-distant-future dystopian stories that are going to give me nightmares well into the new year. Because let’s be clear: Black Mirror is an incredible show, but it changes you.
“This is so Black Mirror” is a common refrain among the show’s fans, and it applies to more and more things every day. Live trivia app sweeping the nation? People choosing to purchase devices for their homes that will listen to their every word? Delivery by drone? So Black Mirror.
So, here’s a proposition: Tell us what you think the most real-life Black Mirror moment of 2017 was. If yours is our fave, we’ll send you on an all-expenses-paid trip to Las Vegas from January 9-12. I’m talking airfare, hotel, and access to our CES concert event. There’s just one catch: We’re going to give you one more Black Mirror moment in the process. During your trip, you’ll have to hand over your phone, so we can get access to your apps, notes, and, well, everything else, for 24 hours. Oh, we’ll also be following you around with a photographer and documenting your trip. Hey, what’s the worst that could happen? You might get a “free” trip! All you have to do is give away a little privacy...
So check out the Terms & Conditions, fill out the form below them, and may the best true dystopian tale win. We’ve provided a helpful submission counter, so you can keep an eye on how many people you’re competing with.
And now for the fine print, which you are definitely going to want to check out:
In addition to the Gizmodo Media Group (“GMG”) standard contest rules (here), the following additional rules shall apply to this contest. By entering into the contest, entrant/reader (“You” or “Your”) agree as follows:
1. If You win the contest, you agree to provide GMG with full and complete access to Your mobile phone(s), social media profiles and/or dating aps (including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, MySpace, Friendster, Weibo, OKCupid, Tinder, Hinge, Bumble) and agree that GMG can “takeover” (access, interact with, post to, etc.) your social media profiles for a period of twenty-four (24) hours.
2. During this twenty-four (24) hour period, GMG may access your profiles and devices and utilize, via screenshot or any other method, any of your photos, postings, voicemail, memos, notes, writings or other content in GMG and/or Netflix “Black Mirror” posts on Kinja, social media or any other media.
3. If You win the contest, you agree to participate in an interview and/or photo/video shoot with Studio@GMG, discussing what losing one’s privacy, ceding control of image and social media, etc. was like and consent to GMG using the interview and any photos/video in a sponsored post for Netflix’s “Black Mirror.”
4. You agree to allow GMG to take photos of You, manipulate the photos, apply filters or not, and post them, no matter how weird they make your face look.
5. If You make a duckface or have food on Your face, and GMG photographs it, You acknowledge that GMG will likely post it.
6. You waive any claims against, and forever and completely release GMG, as well as Netflix and all of their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, licensees, assigns, employees, from any claims arising out of or in connection with this contest, including but not limited to, Your participation in the contest, the privacy and image project, attending the Consumer Electronics Show (“CES”) in Las Vegas.
7. You bear the sole risk from participation in any “look into the future” demos; if You get stuck in the future or are disappointed by the future, GMG is not responsible.
8. If something happens in Vegas and does not stay in Vegas, GMG is not responsible.
9. If any holographic versions are created of You, You shall grant to GMG the right to name the holographic version, though you may choose the first letter of the alphabet for the name.
10. GMG bears no responsibility for injuries caused by robots.
11. Should You accept a ride from a self driving car, You are doing so at Your own risk.
12. You waive any claims against GMG stemming from GMG finding and posting unflattering selfies of You and having Your ex(es) see them; if You then drunk dial your ex(es), You do so at Your own risk; if You back together with Your ex(es), You do so at Your own risk; if you marry your ex(es) in Vegas, congratulations, but You do so at Your own risk.
Okay, you’ve read the terms and conditions, now tell us what the most Black Mirror moment of 2017 was!
Tony Carnevale is a senior writer for Studio@Gizmodo.